Havana [Cuba], January 23: The Cuban Ministry of Public Health reported on Saturday three more deaths and 567 new cases of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in the country.
"We are mourning the deaths of three elderly people, two women and one man, all from Havana," said Francisco Duran, the national director of hygiene and epidemiology at the health ministry.
Cuba has registered a total of 191 deaths and 20,627 cases of COVID-19 so far.
Duran explained that, of the new cases, 532 are from community transmission and 35 were imported from the United States, Haiti, France, Italy, Germany, Spain, Russia, Mexico, El Salvador and Colombia.
The highest number of new infections was reported in the provinces of Havana with 276, in Santiago de Cuba with 69, Guantanamo with 59, and Matanzas with 59.
Currently, these four provinces are under official restrictions to prevent the spread of the disease.
Duran confirmed that "there is transmission throughout the national territory," and he said that the contacts of the new cases would be traced while the patients themselves would remain in isolation.